School was dismissed Friday, Nov. 2 at the Panorama middle and high school after gas fumes were detected prior to school starting.

Supt. Shawn Holloway said MidAmerican Energy was notified around 8:00 a.m. Holloway, who was out of town, was called by principal Thad Stanley that MidAmerican hadn’t arrived at 8:30 a.m. “I had to make a

decision,” he said, “not knowing when they would arrive or how long it would take to find and repair the leak.”

It was determined the smell of gas came from four pilot lights that went out in the kitchen and the odor seeped into the building. MidAmerican eventually found the source and relit the pilot lights.

Students were placed in the gymnasium at the elementary school until classes were cancelled. Those who rode the buses were returned home. Elementary students did not get the day off.